Tuesday 13 March 2012

29th March

Matthew Ashe

I am interested in the notion of new media in art and how an art piece can, with the development of new technologies, transcend traditional constraints of space and time. I am equally fascinated by the difficult questions that arise in relation to the art object by placing an art work in an increasingly intangible space.



This work has progressed through three stages of exploration within the virtual, screen based realm. Firstly I begun to breakdown the functional and aesthetic material qualities of this space, I then proceeded to explore the possibilities of exploiting these material qualities and I have currently been attempting to construct narratives in which the protagonist attempts to navigate the virtual realm using tactile methods of manipulation, exploiting its glitches and corruptions, while increasingly gaining a heightened sense of tangibility over the space itself.



I hope to realise the digital dimension as not simply a rigid entrapping rectangular space but as any other space that becomes less entrapping once we know how to dismantle its walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment